Monday, January 30, 2012

The Veneto Weekend: Part One



This past weekend a group of us decided to go on the Veneto weekend trip through JCU. So Julia and I had this bright idea that since we had a 7 hour bus ride, we might as well go out the night before we leave for the trip and just sleep on the bus right? So we signed up for a wine tasting at school with a Sommelier. Since I get out of class at 5:15 I figured I'd just wait around at school till the wine tasting instead of attempting to go home.. and guess what I realized? My UNIVERSITY has happy hour everyday in our cafe from 5-7.. three euro drinks and you get free pizza and other food. How awesome is that? So I tried my first spritz, Italians are famous for those, and then we started our wine tasting class. I learned all about the different colors of wine and what they mean, the thickness of wine, the different smells, etc. At the wine tasting I met the first southern guy here, Drew! Who really looks like a Brad.. but oh well. Anyway, he goes to Louisville so of course we just immediately bonded by talking about southern things..
Me and Brad at the wine tasting
After the wine tasting Julia and I went out to Testaccio, which is an area south of the school right by the Tiber River, where we were supposed to meet up with Drew and some of his friends that live down there but we never ended up doing that. Instead, we went to On The Rox... where we got hit on by girls, awkward. So we ended up just getting a taxi home at like 3:00 because it was forever away and we had to leave the house at 5:15 to leave for the weekend trip. 

The first stop on the Veneto Weekend Trip was Padua which is actually a really cute little town and we stayed in an adorable hotel there. We went on a tour of the church which is named after a Saint who helps you find lost things. This Saint, whom I cannot remember his name, also helps during times of trouble apparently. So thousands of people would write him letters and leave them by his tomb in the church. That night we went out for Cole's 21st birthday-yay party in Padua! Actually, it wasn't that bad minus the fact that all the places close at midnight there. Which was probably a good thing considering we had to get up at 6am to get on our train to Venice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment